• Hi Nutcutlet, They would be worth looking at but it would depend where you live like if you lived in the south of England you could grow them outside with minimal protection in winter or if you lived further north in a very sheltered garden or conservatory  .

Derek

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,241

I fancy an olive.

• I had an olive once - it died. Probably not the plant's fault.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

I gave an olive tree to some friends in Bedfordshire who have a very sheltered walled garden; the winter before last killed it.

In big cities they seem to survive because of the'kiln' effect of the warmth that leaches from buildings.image

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

Those plastic greenhouses look a reasonable buyimage

Got an olive from Lidl years ago- stays outside all year in a pot.

• Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,455
    Olive def would be no good here.... Dog being called olive works thoughimage

Greenhouse , raised bed and cold frame look very handy for me ...perfect for me up and coming nursery corner image maybe OH will treat me for valentines, you treating mrs Geoff ..Geoffimage ??
  • Yeah so did mine Geoff. Think that's why it died image

Might be a bit cold here but there's a nursery a few miles away that has one of those really old ones on a pallet in the yard. It survived the -14C last winter. I'll do some thinking before Thursday when they come to the shop.

• Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,455
    Could always protect if we turn Siberian again ? image

I could, while it's still small it could go in the cold greenhouse, when neccessary. I take things in and out of the greenhouse all through the winter. My hardwood cuttings have been in and out several times. In at the moment to protect them from the latest downpour which failed to happen. Spring is coming on Thursday. Out again then