Forum home Tools and techniques

Plant database for computer

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,819

At present I have my plants listed on an Access database on my computer but may not have the program in the near future to access it.

I tried the online Shoot database for a while but think it a bit pricey for a list.My current list only has 183 plants on it,really just to keep a record of variety,where bought and when etc and notes if relevant.

I may just resort to a good old fashioned card index!!

So how do you all keep plant records?

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,028

I have mine on an Excel spreadsheet, its a template called Plant Inventory and works really well.  I'm assuming you mean you might not have Access not a computer as you talk about Shoot.  I also looked at Shoot but if you use it you are tied into it as long as you want to keep the inventory.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • HCAHCA Posts: 129

Basically you need to define what type of information you want to keep and how do you want to use the information.  This in turn helps you to decide what sort of format you need to keep it in.  It sounds as if you use the information in much the same way as I do and I use Excel, which I find very flexible.  If you are really good with Excel it can do all sorts of magic things!

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,819

Yes I will still have a computer just not access to Access!

I am not sure if I will have Excel either so was really looking for something 'stand alone' to use offline.

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings