Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Just watched Monty Tonight

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

We've got a lawn like that Nut, not as large as yours but just as colourful and the bees like ours too image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352

Just watched GW - mmm - not for me I'm afraid. My father-in-law, however, would definitely give that lawn10 out of 10 (he's from Yorkshire too - so perhaps it's a generational / geographical thing...). Still, each to his own and I have to applaud the guy for his dedication.

The bees have been all over our lawn this afternoon as well - busy, busy busy. Lovely image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Well , at least his long suffering wife knows where he is. He's not in the pub or the bookies, although maybe sometimes she wishes...image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Topbird, your garden sounds like my sort of garden image

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352
    I really like your garden too BL - it's a little (actually quite big!) bit of England cottage garden in deepest France.

Please give my best wishes to DD for her Open Garden today - I get the impression her garden is our style too image
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Just watched this while having the second coffee of the day.   I loved the gravel garden with its colours and textures and contrasting forms and letting things seed where they're happy.  It's what I try to do but on deep, rich, fertile loam so constant refereeing of weeds and thugs.

Not so keen on the perfect lawn though.   Much rather spend my time on plants and the veggie plot.   Our grass is a green foil for the beds and a playground for dogs now and Possum and friends when she was a bairn.  it's also riddled with mole tunnels and holes and a fair amount of daisies, clover and speedwell.   I don't mind as long as it's green.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I wonder if he lines up everything in the cupboards and his shed in nice straight lines.....imageimage

Each to their own, but I don't see the point of a lawn that's only for looking at. image

Although here, most of time you'd need waterproofs to lie on the lawn  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • cathy43cathy43 Posts: 373
    Wasn't overly interested in the lawn but I wish we could have seen that man's garden a bit more, from the glimpses it looked lovely, bit too neat, but then again maybe that's just because I don't have the knack of neat!
  • JIMMMYJIMMMY Posts: 241

Love a perfectionist, as for the gravel garden a waste of good gravel and space!

What's the next craze to look like!

• floraliesfloralies Posts: 2,716

I would love to have a neat lawn but it's always full of mole hills and holes that voles and lizards use.