Just watched Monty Tonight

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,332

thanks BL

Devon.
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,625

I think I am in the minority as well I didn't like the gravel garden image It was a bit bland for my taste. 

If you want plants now Joyce your best of buying from garden centre etc. or you could sow some perennials for planting out autumn / spring 

• Thanks for the advice Perkiimage to hot to plant anything today

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,949

It's not my type of gardening but I certainly admired Mr whatshisname's garden and lawn and appreciated the time he must spend in it. The gravel garden was fab!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,051

Haven't seen GW yet but getting the gist of these comments..

My garden is very much a cottage garden. It's all a bit jammed in and we have just reached that point in the year where it feels ever-so-slightly out of control & requires the 'Hampton Hack' to restore some sort of order. Have just picked strawberries, mange tout, herbs and lettuce - so it is quite productive. The lawn is green (until it gets very dry) kept well trimmed and edged but it is rather - ermmm - undulating... and has more than it's fair share of weeds and moss. I think it all looks quite pretty in a countryfied sort of way.

My father in law, however, doesn't 'get it' at all. He judges a garden by the pristineness of it's lawn & does not understand why I do not grow regimented rows of pelargoniums and salvias all edged with blue lobelia. He is very unimpressed that I have no hanging baskets and just 2 'summer' pots. He doesn't think it's a 'proper' garden. Guess what? I don't like his either..

C'est la vie image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,949

We all garden in different ways - does not mean that we do not appreciate others' styles. A bit like cooks really - we all know the same ingredients but use them in different recipes to suit our tastes.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Does anyone know what the lovely purple weeping tree is called from the garden in Doncaster?
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,058

I was admiring our lawn at tea time. I like the way the white clover blends in with the little purple Prunella vulgaris, self heal. The bees agreed with meimage