monkshood/devils helmet/aconitum

I have three clumps of Monkshood, given to me by a neighbour years ago, this year they are lovely but, to my horror, have read of death of gardener in handling this plant..I want to get rid of it as I don't always remember to wear gloves, and hubbie has awful splits on his fingers/thumbs due to his work.. if we dig plants up careful, well gloved etc, how do we then dispose of them???   Any comments please!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

Check through various other threads on this subject before panicking. After all you've had them years. 

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/talkback/monks-hood-plant/729041.html

Half the garden is poisonous but the plants don't jump up and attack you (except brambles)image

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,199

We have a lot of varieties of Aconitum in the garden from pure white through blue to yellow. They are no more poisonous than, as Nutculet says, half the other plants in the garden. I spent half an hour this morning removing seed heads from one, no gloves and lots of scratches on the hands. My heart is still beating at the same rate as it normally does. My wife will let you know if I die!

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,985

That story is pure tabloid hysteria. The monkshood did not kill that man.

Do not eat it, and you'll be fine.

Won't harm you from touching with bare hands.

Well I ain't dead yet! I think.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,262

I might be, not sure really image

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,690

I've spent hours over the years picking the seeds of Ricinus Communis ( source of Ricin which killed Giorgi Markov on Waterloo Bridge in the 70s) I've grown more every year and harvest the seeds and have sent them to friends too.

All still alive and healthy.

What about rowans, yew,  laburnum , rhubarb leaves , privet, tulip bulbs? All of these are highly poisonous.

Devon.

But then so are Lettuce and Carrots and green potatoes.

Talking of yew, I'm not suggesting anyone try it, but I ate a yew berry once (after popping the toxic seed out). Not bad, bit insipid, but not posisonous. All other parts of the plant are. Didn't dare more than one as the berry has after all been in contact with the seed - I'm dumb but I'm not that dumb...

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,690

Will, I'm intrigued as to why you ate one????

Devon.

I was just curious Hosta, and I'd already read up on whether it was safe to eat. 

Cherries are similar in having a toxic seed but edible flesh.