Hollow rotting stumps for planters ?

Do the new plants stay confined within the stump or extend roots out through the base and into the soil?

• Louise BLouise B Posts: 81
    I think it would be ok personally but I'm very much a novice myself. Better if the stump is already actively decomposing but I think a tree should be fine. I've been "growing" a cherry tree in a large ceramic planter and it's in an increasingly sorry state but has still been going for a few years.
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,655

Ferns would look amazing in hollow stumps, but I'm not sure about a tree? Some trees will definitely grow in one though; you see birch and rowan growing out of some pretty inhospitable cracks. As the tree grows the roots will either push apart the stump or grow over it, as they look for fresh soil.

There's a clump of zantedeschia growing out of an old hollow stump in a local park, have a look here on streetview - 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.460444,-2.587966,3a,37.5y,186.06h,79.62t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ss4b43B-kLRUngAKf5uHB9g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Clematis - yes, that would look great image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,622

Don't think I'd use a tree either Tetley. I'd agree with ferns. The trick is to try and make it all look vaguely natural - not usually very easy though.

If you simply want it as a nice planting opportunity then go for it - the world is your oyster!  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

The only reason I'm struggling with a tree, is I think it might be a bit macabre. Or as Fairy says, too much resemble a plant pot rather than a natural feature.

• Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

I love sempervivums in stumps. The chains of little plants dropping down the sides are beyond pretty. Even a small stump will do, they need so little.

I can't help thinking that a tree perched on that tall stump would be quite liable to flop over in high winds.