recycling plant pots?

does anyone know of anywhere that takes plastic plant pots?!

ive heard dobbies do, but what sort? how many can you bring?

my local recycling doesn't, and Im not on social media (horrors) to see if anyone would want them.

I must have hundreds, they are washed and cleaned.

does anyone else have this problem?

it must be a topic that comes up a lot.

ive got quite a few garden centres around me, but none take them.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,199

How sad, we took ours to The Grosvenor Garden Centre near Chester, but our local Recycling Depot does not deal with them. Terrible waste really.

• iceice Posts: 327
    Free cycle? Where are you... I keep pinching them from mum (sometimes with plants) but always look out for more (its also a 400 mile round trip)
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,966

I put them in my plastics recycling bin.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,214

Our council's plastic recycling only takes plastics numbers 1,2,3 and 5 and many pots are number 6. One nursery near here will take their own pots back but not others'.

It is appalling that it is so difficult, and so dispiriting, when the public want to help stop waste and the authorities won't take a lead or even join in.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,835

Are there any schools , nurseries   etc near you who would be intrested. 

• Ice, im near Nuneaton.

our council wont take them. schools don't want them nearby, as I say, without facebook etc. I would have to speak to people face to face and ask them!!!!!!

does anyone know how to do that anymore?!

only joking, I shall try mums church, there must be something.

• I work with special needs on an allotment project. We are always looking for pots but are too far away from you. Wondered if there is a special needs centre near you as I'm sure they would love to have them.

• FruitcakeFruitcake Posts: 810

Garden centres near me have a huge pallet box outside for people to recycle pots 

• jen24jen24 Posts: 7

I have loads too nr Milton Keynes if anyone wants any

• DogbowlDogbowl Posts: 76

Our council recycling collection will Not take any regardless that they carry the "can be recycled " marks on them.

So I stand on them break them down and put in the bottom of the collection box when empty a few at a time. Then put the rest of the weeks recycling on top over the week. 

It seems to work and I don't think its them that the collectors spread / drop all over the road and grass verge week after week during their visit.