Forum home Fruit & veg

Tomato seedling mix up - can anyone identify?

Helo, its my first year growing tomatoes and I'm growing Roma and Gardeners Delight. Had a mix up with the seedlings so now I'm not sure what its what. Can anyone identify anything from the photos above?

I started with about 16 seedlings (8 of each variety) and I've given 5 to my mum and I have 5 left (the rest got a bit frazzled in the sun). I'm hoping these are GD as I've heard they're quite easy to grow. 

Heres problem number 2...do i pinch out side shoots if I'm not sure if they're cordon like GD or semi-bush like Roma? 

• Hi Cat image i can't help identifying the plants most look the same and you will only know when the fruits develope. I grow GD as cordon but my sister grows hers outside up the shed and never takes any sideshoots off, so if that helps you not to worryimage  .I've not grown Roma but it looks a good choice so treat them the same I'm sure they won't mind most tomato plants are quite accommodatingimage good luck.

• Cat FleetCat Fleet Posts: 15
    Ok, thanks for the advice.

I thought the trusses looked quite close together all the tomato plants I've seen seem to be much taller with trusses spaced well apart.
  • BoaterBoater Posts: 241

Don't lose hope - someone might be able to tell them apart for you. I'm not familiar with those varieties but I am growing Shirley and Tomatoberry this year and the plants are very different (although both indeterminate) Shirley is much stockier with thick stems and lots of branches close together, also the leaves are more serrated. I'm sure there are people out there who can tell other varieties apart....

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Hi Cat - I'd suggest the plant on the right is gardeners delight. In my experience they tend to grow faster than Roma and the leaves fall out just as they have on yours. It's a best guess though. Hope you get some nice tomatoes. They look very healthy.

Thanks everyone. I'm terribly impatient, can't wait to see how they turn out. It will be a nice surprise!
  • ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,730

Cat, I can't see any flower trusses forming in the photo. Are there any? That's when you'll know the difference. GD, a cherry, will have multiple - up to 10 or so - flowers forming in virtually a line either side of the truss. The Roma, depending which version it is, shouldn't have more than a couple to a truss.

Hi no flower trusses yet. Still waiting for those to appear. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.