Talkback: Eight ways to get a better tomato harvest

I currently have 2 cordon tomato plants in a grow bag in the conservatory , there are plenty of flowers , some of which are dying off already but no tomatoes visible . What am doing wrong ?

• PAT 9PAT 9 Posts: 23
    Hi Natalie,

Be patient, the flowers will form the tomato stalk and a tiny pin head green tomato will start to form in the base. Give plenty of water every day. You can always cut off some of the flowering stems so that the remaining trusses develop normally. Feed once a week with dilute potash tomato feed whilst in flower. My plants in the greenhouse are in large pots standing in old washing up bowls which always have 1cm of water in the bowl so that they never go short.

Good luck.
  • In previous years I have grown tomatoes in large pots but this year I have them in much smaller one, due to the cost of compost as the larger ones use so much, I wondered if they will succeed in smaller (3 ltr) pots.
  • tkapelkotkapelko Posts: 1
    My tomato plants are having problems, the leaves are curling and brown patches on them too. What is causing this?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,858

I experimented last year using smaller pots and treating 'em mean. Had a great harvest  image

tkapelko - can you offer a bit more info? Are the plants indoors or out for instance. Weather can cause damage. Curling is quite normal - up to a point - some leaves will naturally wither away and you can remove them. Overcrowding can be an issue - is there plenty of airflow round your plants? If in pots, they will need more water than outdoors and make sure there's loads of ventilation.

A pic would be great if you can manage. Click on the oak tree icon in the toolbar above where you post. It doesn't appear on some devices and phones though. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• angelafangelaf Posts: 4
    Hi Some of the leaves of my tomat plants have curled and seem a bit brittle. What am I doing wrong?
  • NelliedotNelliedot Posts: 7
    Help! Have grown cordon tomatoes successfully outside for several years. For reasons I won't go into (but Hubby is in trouble!) when being planted out their growing tips were pinched out before any trusses have formed. They have grown a little taller but no sign of flowers. Will they produce fruit?
  • NelliedotNelliedot Posts: 7
    Help! Have grown cordon tomatoes successfully outside for several years. For reasons I won't go into (but Hubby is in trouble!) when being planted out their growing tips were pinched out before any trusses have formed. They have grown a little taller but no sign of flowers or new central stem. Will they produce fruit?
  • Mel MMel M Posts: 347

Once the flowers are open, mist the tomato plants with tepid water every now and then. This helps the fruit to set.

• For the last 3 years we have grown Tumbler tomatoes in 2 hanging baskets, and they have been very very prolific, tasted very sweet, and kept going all summer.

This means that very little compost is needed, and there's no slugs or snails to remove.

Just keep moist, and occasionally fertilised.

We have just planted out this year's plants.

ENJOY
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 8,061

As far as I know from my own experience, tumbler toms can be grown in a large pot - some even say you can do them in a hanging basket.

All you need to be aware of is that toms of any description are hungry plants - the tumbling ones grow prolifically and you will get a poor harvest if you cram too many plants in one pot/basket or WHY.

The bigger the pot, the better.  Don't overfeed or overwater as this tends to ruin their flavour.  The tumblers are no different from other types really but they do require the depth to get their feet in so to speak.  After that, treat them mean and keep them keen....you may reduce the number of fruits that way but at least they taste like real tomatoes shouldimage