Plants for a Fairy Dell

Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,820

I am in the process of planting up a Fairy dell. 

I have some plants - Rose 'The Fairy', Clematis 'Oberon' but am looking for more. Most of the bed is in full sun, with shade up by the fence. The area is about 5m square maybe more. In the middle is a pergola with clematis up it

Would love to fill the bed with mostly perennials. Any ideas?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 11,890

Bjay, have you seen this website? It's all about fairies and plants. Click on a letter and it will give you the plants starting with that letter that have something to do with fairies.

• Caz WCaz W Posts: 1,353

You can even find your own fairy name here:

from Faery Gray Howling Moon image

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,820

No all I'm getting is a domain called GoDaddyimage

Entered my name and the fairy name came up sounding like a supermarketimage

Will try later, dinner time

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 11,890

Here's something else about planting fairy gardens.

• Caz WCaz W Posts: 1,353

Just tried clicking on the link above and it worked fine for me image.  You have dark powers BJay image

There's an Aquilegia Gold Leprechaun - not sure if that counts as a fairy image

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 7,105

I think there is a small agapanthus called Tinkerbell - might need to grow it in a pot and bring it inside in the winter

The Stone Age didn’t end because they ran out of stones ......

Thanks Chicky will look into it.

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892

T&M do a range of annuals called Fairy Mixture. They also do some annual poppies called Fairy Wings. I think that Fairy Mix includes some Fairy Wings.

I often grow some Fairy mix and it is very successful. It looks pretty, but, more importantly is successful in attracting fairies (enlarge the photo if it's not clear enough)...

You also need to ensure that you have some old logs and long grass, to enable the fairies and their attendant animals to build their homes...

• Sue HSue H Posts: 415
    Nooo. Fairy evil tealeaf! image

have a tree stump that Titchmarsh stands on. Daughter says they need a mirror?

Gary thanks I saw that but really need perennials,