help baby frogs dying

I have a preformed pond surounded by slabs. This year my pond has been full of frogspawn and there are now hundreds of tiny frogs trying to leave the pond. I have layed a thick piece of towelling into the pond and run it into the lawn and flower border. The frogs are using this path to get out of tbe pond but many seem to wander onto the slabs and die in the sun. Is there anything more i can do to help the frogs or is it down to natural selection?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,400

Could you position a few pot plants for them to hide between on their way through?

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,122

Provide some cover for them. About 95% of young frogs end up dead or prey, so nature plays a big part. I wouldn't worry too much.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 44,420

Ponds need long grass/ferns/low growing plants around their edges to provide damp and shady cover for froglets

We leave the grass around the pond unmown and the frogs and froglets spend lots of time in there image  If you haven't got grass around the pond, some shallow plantpots with greenery in providing damp shade would be good image

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt ... Margaret Atwood
  • WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

I have a junior size frog in my cold frame, hiding between the pots but how did it get there?  I don't have an exposed water nor do surrounding neighbours, none except the very end house that you have to cross a car park area to get to image

• rubberrubber Posts: 80

Thanks for the advice. My pond is in a walled garden so not sure how mummy frog found hsr way into our pond!

• Louise BLouise B Posts: 81
    Maybe she dug her way in, I think they like to burrow in wet mud. If it was me, I'd scoop up as many as I could and take them to a possibly suitable destination. I know it's not very survival of the fittest but they are babies after all xx