Forum home Problem solving

How to eliminate bamboo altogether from a tricky spot

When we first moved in a year ago I loved our big bamboo.  I liked how it looked and it provided a great screen.

How things have changed!  Even when we moved in the patio had been lifted by the bamboo.  Now we see that patio stones over 6 feet away from the plant are being lifted and the rhizomes are even growing into the cellar.

In March I cut the whole thing to the ground.  Unfortunately it is on the edge of a patio between the fence and the patio so I can't dig out the root ball (and in any case it seems tougher than concrete!)

I have tried injecting glyphosate weedkiller into every cane, and each time a new shoot comes up I spray it.  But it doesn't seem to be dying at all.  Shoots still emerge all over the place every few days.  Some of the shoots are now over 12 feet from the main plant.

Is there another way?  Does anyone have any tips on what to do?

This autumn we are planning to have a new patio put in.  I'm worried that the bamboo will just come straight through it again?  If we lay a concrete bed would that stop it?

• FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 256

Just keep chopping off the new growth as it pops up, but dig out as much as possible first. I used a grafter (a narrow spade with steel nearly up to the handle )that makes digging easier. Save some bamboo and put it in a container, it looks good swaying in the wind.

• dominomandominoman Posts: 150

I have a trenching spade, which seems to be very similar to a grafter (I had to google a grafter to see what it was).

I tried digging down with that spade and found it impossible.  The soil is stony, and the bamboo rock solid.  Also, the space it is in is a deep narrow space bounded by fence on one side and a raised patio on the other.

I'll keep killing the re-growth.

• Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

I don't think you can eliminate Bamboo without digging out the whole region of topsoil that the colony is inhabiting.

It might be easier to relocate the patio.image

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,109

I would imagine a thick (100mm?) concrete bed would stop it, you could lap your movement joints with butyl, or even better put butyl underneath the whole thing just in case a crack appears (which the bamboo will come back up through).

Rhizomes showing in your cellar sounds terribly worrying!

• dominomandominoman Posts: 150

I think I will go with a full concrete patio base then.

In any case once I remove the patio I will be able to get to the bulk of the root mass I think.

This bamboo was allowed to go totally crazy, along with everything else in the garden.  We didn't think twice when we bought the house, but I'm sure the last owner knew it was a real problem when the rhizomes pushed into the cellar and started lifting the neighbour's nice new patio too!

I will persevere.  I'm optimistic I will kill it eventually.

• try "SBK" its fantastic

• FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 256

WOW that must be a completely different species than the two I have, but I did plant them 20 years ago myself. Still got one in a border and two in containers.

• DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

I love the idea of bamboo but have read far too many horror stories to contemplate planting it image  What we need is a panda invasion.