Forum home Fruit & veg

Tips Aubergines/peppers Chillies

I have never grown aubergines/peppers or chillies before having never had a greenhouse. Bought some nice young F1 plants and now they are all in flower and appear to be doing really well. Someone told me that I must take out leaves to the nearest flower like tomatoes. a) Is this correct and b) should I be feeding them and how much water do they need? A neighbour tells me peppers fall off like young apples and there is a danger of some grub making holes in larger pepppers turning them brown? All advice welcome

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Biofreak you don't need to take leaves off any of the plant variety's that you are growing.Start feeding with a high potash feed when the fruit is set,don't over water keep them on the dryish side, depends on variety but to keep them dryish makes them more hot and harvest on a hot day.The peppers sometimes fall off but I think that's because their too dry.Never heard of grubs in peppers only green and white fly.
  • Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

The only leaves I ever take off tomato plants are the tips of leaves very close to the ground, IF they sprawl on the ground. That is because it they ger buried in the mulch they start rotting, anf then the rot can climb up the laf to the stalk. I don't think it is absolutely necessary, but I think it maybe more "hygienic". Other than that, leaves are a plant's solar panel, and they need all the energy they can prduc to shell out those big luscious crops.

What you SHOULD remove from tomatoes are the little side shoots in the leaf axils.

Katherine W it's not tomatoes biofreak is growing chillies it's totally different
  • Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

Holy wow, you are right, where did I read tomatoes?!!

Apologies!

Just ignore me, it's the sun! I will just shut up now, promise!

• biofreakbiofreak Posts: 806

Do I have to limit number of peppers or aubergines fruiting to get decent sizes?

Just in passing on the subject of tomatoes - Tomato leaves make an excellent strong insecticide against ants/mosquitos/leek moths & cabbage white butterflies. Put trimmings in plastic bucket add 3 times their volume in rainwater, leave for several days (fermentation starts the 3rd day) Filter when nice and smelly and pour over the soil around brassicas/onion family and ant nests. Not only does this brew act as a deterrent, but it also encourages strong plant growth. You could just chuck the leaves on the compost, but I prefer to make a 'Brew' and recycle. The biodynamic way.

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

You don't limit chillis, not sure about large peppers. Don't prune. They like warm sunny sheltered locations. I've never had grubs in chillis. 

Biofreak This is probably a silly question but how does that brew work for white butterflies?
  • biofreakbiofreak Posts: 806

Yes.- You can also use Rhubarb leaves the same way and/or Wormwood. With wormwood wear gloves during preperation as it can cause skin allergy (Other name is Absinthe)