Forum home Fruit & veg

Lots of ants on veggie plants after natural spray

Yesterday I noticed lots of aphids or white moth tiny hatchlings eating away at our dinosaur kale plants.. After researching natural home remedies to get rid of aphids ( after seeing white moths flying around i researched then also and learned they can lay eggs so I researched ridding of them also). I came up with using ivory soap, baking soda, and some olive oil mixed with water. I sprayed this morning on select plants that looked needed. Started with the kale under side then noticed the jalape??os where also getting eaten but no lil white aphid looking guys on the leaves.. Now this evening there are tons and tons of ants on the jalape??os on the leaves and stem and looks like are eating them. There are ants at base of the kale plants also. Arw they attracted to the spray I used to kill the other pests? Any input on why they are only attacking the sprayed plants and how to stop them from eating everything?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,076

The ants 'farm' the aphids for the sweet residue they produce. They don't eat the plants themselves although if there's a sufficient infestation of them they may have a nest below the planting which can cause collapse. Get the hose out and give everything a good soak. It'll move the ants on to a drier spot and also shift most of the aphids. Then be vigilant image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Put some polenta and spread it around where the ants are the ants will eat it and the polenta will expand and kill the ants.