When is the best time to plant hollies?

I'm interested in buying two hollies, what would be my best option,  Buying two potted ones as soon as possible or to buy bare rooted hollies November onwards? I'm not bothered by the price nor waiting until November onwards, I simply want to plant the hollies at the best possible time of the year so they can get established and flourish.  

• cathy43cathy43 Posts: 373

Hi Chris, personally I would wait until November, they will need watering to get established and the roots to settle and a wet autumn will take a lot of hard work out of it.  When planting remember to use microrhyzal fungi (spelling?) it will help the plant create the tiny roots quickly that they need to absorb nutrients. I actually use a little on all new plants to give them a helping hand.

Basically depends on your commitment to watering!image

• And the cost...bare-rooted are cheaper to buyimage

• Chris MasonChris Mason Posts: 159

I've heard a lot about that fungus, what's so special about it? 

• Its a powder which  helps promote fibrous roots - just sprinkle on the root ball when plantingimage

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,872

If it's only two, I'm with Verdun - buy them now and they'll establish quickly if you prepare the site,water in well and keep an eye on them for a month or two. Great shrubs.

Different if it's a hedge you're planting when cost would be the big factor. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I'm going for natives, (ilex aquifolium), I've already got two of them, they're both young so I do not know which sexes they are so naturally introducing two extras would increase of my chances of them producing berries.

I think I'm going to go for planting in autumn, and on top of that I plan on planting a hazel tree.

Thank you for your help

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,656

Why not try 'J C van Tol'? It is self fertile, so will have berries even if the other 2 are male and should help to pollinate them if they are female. The leaves are less prickly, so kinder when weeding. Win all round!

There are a lot of pesky cats in our area who love to hunt, the prickly ones are to deter the cats from raiding nests and to make another nests less accessible (I'm planting these hollies next to a hedge that I know robins and black caps often nest in. + it also offers shelter to our frogs and anything else that lives in our garden who may have to escape a cats paws + weeding isn't much of a problem, the ground is prepared thoroughly, I've weeded in advance so anything that pops up can be felt with in advance to planting, anything I've missed will be felt with by a mulch and to be honest, I'm welcoming a lot of weeds into the garden! 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,872

Good luck with them Chris - the wildlife will thank you image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....