Forum home Fruit & veg

tomatoes is this normal?

Hi all

i only seem to post about my plant problems so a big thanks in advance to all those who help!

im not sure if I am just being paranoid but I need some advice on my tomatoes...

in the last week or so the top leaves of a couple of my plants are looking shrivelled and dry....I'm not sure if this is just new growth or something more sinister?

any ideas?

i feed them once a week with tomato food and last night gave them a spray of Epsom salts in water.....

• CidermillCidermill Posts: 25

Oops sorry I thought pics were right way up!

• cathy43cathy43 Posts: 373

Could they have been sun scorched or frosted (cold wind)? Sorry never seen that before. 

hi Cathy,

i don't think they would have been frosted or suffered from cold wind as I'm in southwest and weather in last few weeks has been good.

but I did wonder about sun scorch....perhaps they are getting too hot...I open the greenhouse door and window during the day but maybe I should put up some shading......

• cathy43cathy43 Posts: 373

Just guessing but they look slightly 'burnt', I have the other problem, mine are frostedimage

Minefield isn't it! im a total novice and the tips on here are invaluable!

• I'd also guess sun scorch (I've had that happen too, even with open windows/doors and even some cover), or I've found that, while growing them on, after a certain time in one size pot that any new growth seems to suffer, so whenever I suspect this I pot them on (when they're still young), even if they don't seem to need to be yet, and that seems to do the trick for them and perk them right up again.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,104

You shouldn't feed tomatoes at all until the first tiny fruits set, so I'd stop feeding them for now, or have tiny green tomatoes started to appear?.
    Have you by any chance watered them and left the leaves wet while the sun is out? that may be the cause.
    When watering, try not to wet the leaves.
    Is there any mildew/mould on the leaves? toms like humidity when it's warm, but overnight too much humidity when it's cool may cause problems, but unlikely if there's good air flow.

I doubt they are suffering from a magnesium deficiency, so hold-off on the epson salts.

They don't look too bad, so hopefully you'll still get some tasty home grown toms in a few weeks.

Good luck

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Thanks blue dragon the ones looking the worst are in the corners of the greenhouse closest to the walls so sun scorch seems a possibility. I think I will move them in a bit and put up some shade

pete - they have tiny little toms so I thought I was ok to feed....the Epsom salts was just a case of throwing everything at it to see what works ????

I will stop wetting the leaves though!

thanks

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,104

ok - you're quite right, you should be feeding now that little toms are starting to form - your're ahead of me!

Too much TLC is often the problem.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

Too much sun if in a greenhuse, and WAY too much feeding. Once a week??? That's crazy (just my humble opinion of course).

With that amount of fertilizer a) you might as well buy the fake toms they sell in the supermarket and b) the plant grows lush and soft and has no defence from UV and evaporation (hence the scorching... please observe that in Italy tomatoes are watered overhead with huge irrigators, while being grown in the open in full sun from dawn to dusk at 40*C all day and yet they don't scorch... it's not the sun that scorches, it's the overtender tissues that lack resilience).