New Border - What plants!?

Hey guys. 

So here is a photo using the hose outlining my first proposed flowerbed. It get sun from first light until around 2.30pm /3.00pm and then is in partial shade. i was going to dig up the grass, fork through the soil, add new compost and feed, and line the side of the bed with wooden log rolling. 

THat young tree will be moved to against the wall, leaving me ample room for plants. I have young plants given to me by my parents - 

Coreopsis, Helenium, Gaillardia, Spartium, Penstemon and Hollyhock. 

I am keen to plant a bed that will attract wildlife. Will these plants do well in that space. With it not being in sun ALL day? 

Can anyone recommend me some suitable plants, preferrably perennials with colour as I will plant a Skimmia at the very back to thicken. 

Its fairly big, what with the hose running at 8metres! 

Cheers guys! 

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,628

First thoughts - what is the young tree? It will need room to grow, so moving it back to the wall may not be a good idea. Will it affect the amount of shade in the bed as it grows?

Curves are nice, but you will make lawn mowing/edging a lot easier if you flatten the curve a little. If you reversed the profile, so the bed edge has the shape of the lawn edge, with the centre protruding, the tree would be able to stay where it is and have more space.

The plants you have all enjoy sun. Spartium (spanish broom) is a shrub for sunny dry places and can grow quite large so would probably be better placed elsewhere. I don't know whereabouts you are, but some varieties of penstemon, coreopsis and gaillardia are not reliably hardy everywhere. The hollyhocks and helenium are.

Phlox paniculata, achillea, leucanthemum and nepetas are all reliable, not too fussy and good for wildlife. Hardy geraniums come in a variety of colours and sizes and would thrive there, sun or shade. Michaelmas daisies are good for late colour and nectar for the insects. Beyond those there are lots of other things you could try - have a look through the catalogues of some online nurseries and see what you like the look of, then check out its requirements. That way you should not be disappointed. Woottens Plants, Jackson's nursery  and Bibby plants will get you started!

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,965
    Agree with all the advice above! However since you've been given some plants, you may as well use them, they're all suitable except maybe the Spartium as mentioned. You have a Verbena bonariensis on the far right which you could incorporate. Hardy geraniums would be perfect for adding colour and covering the ground. I've been growing sweet rocket from seed (it's so easy to grow) and that would be great towards the back.

Your Skimmia will be quite swamped by this planting, although I suppose you'll see it in winter.Talking of winter, evergreen harts tongue fern is good for planting in clumps between the perennials.
  • DevineDevine Posts: 25
    This is great guys. Ive softened the bend on the bed. And actually removed the tree for elsewhere on the other side of the garden. And I shant plant the spartium! I also got a delphinium and a scabiosa to help with the butterflies

planting up today after I built the bed yesterday, fertilized and 4 bags of compost added. Ready to rock and roll now!