A Challenge for You!

Eh Up garden braniacs! Is there any chance someone can find out what this tree is? Its almost Yew like, but much greener in colour. Its tall and thin, with waxy fern like leaves. most odd - and both sets of parents, and keen gardeners cant seem to tell me what it is! 

See attached shots!!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,197

Looks like a fastigiate yew. There are some Yews that will grow as a column.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DevineDevine Posts: 25

Ooooo, good shout... Ill give it a google....

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,197

I would cut the black tie wrap off the cane. It will damage the trunk. Use a proper tree tie that can be loosened off if it still needs support.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DevineDevine Posts: 25
    Will do just moved in to this new house so discovering the garden for the first time
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,883

That's what it looks like to me. It's got a softer look than yew and the bark is different

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,116

Mimosa or that pineapple flowered tree I can't remember the name of.

I have 2 metasequoias. They grew quickly in the early stages but I shall have to do a rescue hack of other trees if I want to keep themimage

I used to have three, Five germinated but I gave the other two away. I like them but I think maybe tough natives  are what my garden needs. 

Field Maple and Scots Pines are the stars here, a bit dry for birch, they go brown in a dry summer

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,116

Thanks Tetley, my sister has one of those and I couldn't remember the name of it.