A hummingbird!

Well, actually it was a hawkmoth according to google but it really had me bamboozled for a second. I think it's the first time in my life I've seen one. It came and went in a flash and all I could commit to memory was the orange flash on the wings and the checkered black and white bum. I'm near the Peak District btw so quite far north really for something from South Africa image I feel really excited.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,020

Lovely, I haven't seen one yet

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,189

They seem late this year.  Usually my garden is "humming" with them ( sorry ! ) but so far only one...........paid a quick visit a week or so ago and hasn't been seen sinceimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,054

The temperature in our garden today, I'm expecting to see penguins any minute, not hummingbird hawkmoths image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,020

It's suddenly got warmer here Dove, up 4 degrees since lunch time, maybe coming your wayimage

• Louise BLouise B Posts: 81
    My husband is really jealous he missed it since I showed him one on youtubeimage
  • If you want to see them in your garden plant honeysuckle they'll stick around then. image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,054

Well, the temperature at lunchtime today was almost twice the highest temperature  yesterday - it'll do for a start image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pottie PamPottie Pam Posts: 887

There was one on my sweet rocket about two weeks ago but haven't seen one since. Also some painted ladies butterflies. One looked very bedraggled as if it had over-wintered here.

• Pottie PamPottie Pam Posts: 887

This was taken last year.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I saw one a few years ago it was on the penstemons I live in Redditch