Forum home Wildlife gardening

Lythrum

hi

browsing a website, I noticed an attractive plant, Lythrum (loosestrife) that I fancy growing. It seems easy to grow which is the sort of plant I'm after and attractive to bees. Doing a bit of quick research about it, I noticed on American websites that it is recommended not to grow it as it is invasive/aggressive spreader choking out other plants and if you have it in your garden, you should get rid of it. There doesn't seem to be that hysteria on the UK web sites. In fact, val Bourne wrote a lovely article about it on the telegraph web page and the RHS site has it listed with no warnings. 

Any thoughts/opinion? Should I grow it or not. I've noticed that U.S. Web sites tend to be very Wary of plants that grow easily-cotoneaster (a certain variety) being one they don't like. 

Thanks,

fiona

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,966

I think the note of caution is probably that it's an invasive non-native of swamp/marshland habitats in the US. It's native here so that's not a concern. And I wouldn't expect it to spread wildly in your garden, unless your garden has very moist soil.

I'd be happy for it to romp through my garden, it's a lovely flower.

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,966

I note Val Bourne recommends the variety 'Feuerkeze' which is sterile and therefore won't cause any problems.

• thanks for that. yes that is what the U.S. websites say although they do seem rather hysterical about it suggesting that it should be removed from gardens too as even supposedly sterile double-flower varieties provide pollen for pollination. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,461

I have it growing by the pond in a boggy bed. It stays put.

Nothing to worry about as far as I am concerned. The bees love it. Dragonflies perch on it.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,288

Probably depends where you are too. Saw lovely clouds of it growing in France in wetlands near La Rochelle, but here in my chilly part of the North-west it's taken years just to get a decent sized clump and yet it is growing in supposedly ideal conditions.

• Thanks folk. I will grow with confidence then. Fidgetbones, that's a lovely picture. Think I'll have to put in a pond too. ????