Tomato Tree!

I have only recently found out that tomatoes also come in hardwood tree form and was wondering if anyone knew where they are sold, or had some seeds?

Also wanted to know what the difference is, are they hardy in Ireland, do they die off at the end of season?

I saw my first one on wiki, which was growing in Disney land, so not sure if they are even viable here, so would be happy to hear from others who may have come across this strange tree?

Thanks in advance for any answers image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,918

They are not the tomatoes like you get in the supermarket for salad.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • The massive "tomato tree" growing inside the Walt Disney World Resort's experimental greenhouses in Lake Buena Vista, Florida may be the largest single tomato plant in the world. The plant has been recognized as a Guinness World Record Holder, with a harvest of more than 32,000 tomatoes and a total weight of 522 kg (1,151 lb). It yields thousands of tomatoes at one time from a single vine. Yong Huang, Epcot's manager of agricultural science, discovered the unique plant in Beijing, China. Huang brought its seeds to Epcot and created the specialized greenhouse for the fruit to grow. The vine grows golf ball-sized tomatoes, which are served at Walt Disney World restaurants.

The world record-setting tomato tree can no longer be seen by guests along the Living With the Land boat ride at Epcot, as the tree developed a disease and was removed in April 2010 after approximately 13 months of life.

This is from Wikipedia, this is where I first found out about this tree image

• But thanks Ceres, that's another one I did not know existed lol

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,700

it doesn't look like " a tree" to me. 

If it was " a tree" it wouldn't need support surely?

Isn't it just a regular tomato trained up onto the support? 

Devon.
  • No, its actually woody, unlike a tomato as we know it, but grows much longer and bears more fruit than a standard tomato, but needs support to bear its fruit, just like a our normal tomato.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,632

Two different plants.

The longer lived  'Tree Tomato' with a woody stem is a Tamarillo - Solanum betaceum  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnVMCZnfk1g

The 'tomato tree' grown at the Disney resort is simply a supported tomato vine Solanum lycopersicum , grown from a strain developed to grow a long vine, whatever Walt Disney Co.,  choose to call it.

There are people all over the internet, preying on the gullible, purporting to sell seeds from 'Tomato Trees', or 'Italian Tomato Trees' or whatever, using the Disney photo  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,700

Thanks Dove.

Devon.
  • Really Dove image I am sad now, as I was one of those gullible ones I guess.image

But thanks for the reply, at least I know the type of vine now, as I would still love to grow this type in the same fashion as Disney did!

By the way Dove have you planted tomatoes this year, if so have you put them outside yet, as over here in Ireland its still falling to 2 degrees at night and mine are still in the house, but just about to start flowering, but I am afraid to put them out even for a day, as hailstones and drops in temp may kill them in just one day?

Any advise would be helpful image