Forum home Fruit & veg

tomatoes

i was lucky to receive some of the tomato seeds from gw to test for blight resistance. i have the un named experimental ones. i was wondering what to do with the side shoots as im not sure what type of tomato plant it is ? there are no instructions on the packet

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    If the plants are making side shoots easily then I think there bush type, so you can leave the shoots on.they might need support. Doesn't it say indeterminate or determinate?
  • no it just gives instructions on transplanting seedlings and plantinting into final position when 15cm and nothing further, and no plant name other than experimental tomato

• Crazy CatCrazy Cat Posts: 41

Hi Andrea, 

Mystery tomatoes, sounds fun image

When I was a nipper (way back in the Jurassic!), my father taught me to use the following if unsure:

Indeterminate: After the first flower set emerges, then 3 or more nodes between subsequent flower set

Determinate: After the first flower set emerges, then 0 to 2 nodes between subsequent flower sets.

Not always accurate, but to give the old man credit it's right about 75% of the time!

The flowers on determinate bush tomatoes are also often larger.

Have fun growing!

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,189

That's a tad bit mean not telling you whether they are bush or cordon, after all, you wouldn't be able to guess their variety having that information. Hope above advise worksimage  

Good luck...

• thanks thats great !

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

I got that one too Andrea. How tall is yours? mine has suddenly had a growth spurt and is about 1ft high. I've been taking out the side shoots on mine. Looks healthy but not as rampant as gardeners delight. 

• GardenGrower11GardenGrower11 EnglandPosts: 304
    T& M 2016 Experimental Tomato

it's described as an 'Outdoor cordon with tasty fruit and exceptional resistance to blight. New for 2016 and as yet unnamed.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4JmB0hKPMNqNXqMKLctw1lf/tomato-seed-giveaway

When the seeds were originally offered, there was a description of each of the varieties on the website.

• thanks !think i ought to take more notice !

i just applied for them all !

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Is a cordon one that should be pinched out?

• hi tootles. mine have been very slow to grow and are also nearly  a foot high, yes cordon is the tall ones that need the side shoots pinched out

no flowers yet thoughimage