Forum home Problem solving

How to set up a soaker hose system ?

I wonder if anyone can advise of every item I will need to water a row of recently planted plants via a soaker hose ? As you would have seen from a post made a month ago, I am not an expert on this or flowers or gardening in general. 

Okay, so at the moment we have 2 hoses, one goes to the front garden and one to the back to fill the pond. I want to add a third to run to a soaker that can keep watering the planets when needed. The plants are planted within a 3 metre rectangle hedgerow. Soil is made up of bark.

Here is what I have in my virtual basket...........

1. Darlac Plastic 4 Way Tap Manifold
2. 40m Hose
3. Hozelock 6760 1/2-inch 7.5m Porous Soaker Hose
4. Some kind of timer
5. Metal Portable Hose Pipe Holder Hanger Expandable 
6. Some kind of hooks to keep hose in ground

Does this sound like all that is needed ? Also does anyone here already use a soaker hose and can give me any advice ?

Thanks all !!

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 4,002

Gosh, you get up almost as early as me! I was up at 2a.m. needing a drink couldnt get back to sleep.  It seems a lot of expense to go to, I have a big plot, but just water new stuff either with a normal hose in the evening, or water from (5) butts)  I bought an irrigation kit for one of my greenhouses, with the peppers and cucumbers in, because of working shifts. says easy to install, no tools required, but I havent a clue!  There are no instructions in the box.  HELP

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,276

I've used a soaker hose, but it's not on a timer. I just attach the hose from the tap to it. It worked very well at first in a long narrow bed but as plants grew up and weeds started it became harder to see when weeding and planting and I put my fork through it several times so it's now fairly useless!

I have one for the veg garden as well which also worked well for tomatoes and courgettes, but this year I haven't got round to dealing with it. It can be a bit of a fiddle to wind it round the places you want it, especially when it was new and a bit stiff, and it needs to be pegged down.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,687

I'm considering getting soaker hose for the borders before I go away in a couple of weeks.  I've a lot of new shrubs and herbaceous plants which aren't fully established yet and do need regular watering. I'd be putting the soaker hose onto timer so it will cost a bit, but not as much as losing all the new plants.

My neighbour normally does the watering when we're away but he's on holiday at the same time as us this year.  Just can't get good staff any more!

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 4,002

Honesty, arent neighbours self! Fancy going away the same time as you!!!

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,065

Jon, you are better off giving the plants a thorough soaking every week (e.g. a few buckets of water) than using constant irrigation. Once they are established they won't need watering at all. I think investing in a soaker hose would be a waste of money for you.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,687

Just to put my needs into perspective, the garden was gutted and I now have over 200 feet of borders with newish plants in to care for.  If a soaker hose keeps them going while I'm away it will have been a solid investment. 

• Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

I bought two years ago some 500 m of a floppy black pierced hose from e-bay. Very thin stuff, but as I live in a very hot and fairly dry place the veg patch would not go in summer without watering.. It was really NOT expensive. I cut it into piecs to the legth of yeach bed in KG and each piece can be connectet to the normal hose via the usual plastic connections; despite being a very cheap model is still working very fine after two full seasons in use. I roll it up in winter and put it away so I can dig the beds over.

A system that interconnects various parts of the garden would definitely more complicated to set up, but a single bed of three m should be easy.

I don't know how much a timer costs though, and if you leave for several weeks, you want to get a reliable system....