Forum home The potting shed

Weed or not?

D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,952

I have an Open Garden Day on Sunday and before I look a complete twit in front of everyone can I have some expert advice on pictured plant below. I have been nurturing it for weeks, thought it was Michaelmas Daisy but now not so sure, looks decidedly different to the others - I fear it is a weed - please advise. image

Thank you very much.

"To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,293

Doesn't look like the Michelmas daisies I grow, but looks like it could be quite spectacular, whatever it is.  Tell people it is a rarity donated by the GW forum.  And if you don't like it when it flowers, whip it out before the seeds setimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,101

Whatever it is, I'm sure its flowers will be of great interest to pollinating insects - that's undoubtedly why you're growing it image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

The only thing I can suggest is check out these picture and see if something rings a bell... then take it frm there:

https://www.google.fr/search?q=tall+branched+herbaceous+lanceolate+leaves&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=mq6HVf37OcLXUaXQgdAI&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1536&bih=770

image Good luck!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932

It looks quite like loosestrife DD. It's similar to quite a few plants but I can't  put my finger on it. Nut or Bob will know image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,952

Thank you very much for the advice, am taking solace in the fact that so far no-one else knows, I may well make up a name if anyone asks - diu viridi alienigena for example (tall green stranger). image

"To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
  • Outdoor girlOutdoor girl Posts: 286

Epilobium angustifolia? The pink form is called fireweed or rosebay willowherb in UK but the white form is lovely in the garden.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,101

If Outdoor girl is correct, then you're obviously growing it as the food plant of the Elephant Hawk Moth caterpillars, aren't you? image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

I am not sure it's fireweed ... Epilobium (Chamerion) angustifolium description from wikipedia:

"The reddish stems of this herbaceous perennial are usually simple, erect, smooth, 0.5–2.5 m (1½–8 feet) high with scattered alternate leaves. The leaves are entire, lanceolate, and pinnately veined."

BUt I might be wrong image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,847

No you're right. Katherine. image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,367

I'm pretty sure it's a weed that has masses of little white flowers that then turn into fluffy seeds like mini dandelions and get everywhere. But I just can't remember the name. They often grow on waste ground and are very common here.

Dordogne and Norfolk