Forum home The potting shed

Weed or not?

D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, FrancePosts: 2,163

I have an Open Garden Day on Sunday and before I look a complete twit in front of everyone can I have some expert advice on pictured plant below. I have been nurturing it for weeks, thought it was Michaelmas Daisy but now not so sure, looks decidedly different to the others - I fear it is a weed - please advise. image

Thank you very much.

Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors. – Mary Cantwell

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,744

Doesn't look like the Michelmas daisies I grow, but looks like it could be quite spectacular, whatever it is.  Tell people it is a rarity donated by the GW forum.  And if you don't like it when it flowers, whip it out before the seeds setimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,872

Whatever it is, I'm sure its flowers will be of great interest to pollinating insects - that's undoubtedly why you're growing it image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

The only thing I can suggest is check out these picture and see if something rings a bell... then take it frm there:

https://www.google.fr/search?q=tall+branched+herbaceous+lanceolate+leaves&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=mq6HVf37OcLXUaXQgdAI&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1536&bih=770

image Good luck!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,434

It looks quite like loosestrife DD. It's similar to quite a few plants but I can't  put my finger on it. Nut or Bob will know image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, FrancePosts: 2,163

Thank you very much for the advice, am taking solace in the fact that so far no-one else knows, I may well make up a name if anyone asks - diu viridi alienigena for example (tall green stranger). image

Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors. – Mary Cantwell
  • Outdoor girlOutdoor girl Posts: 286

Epilobium angustifolia? The pink form is called fireweed or rosebay willowherb in UK but the white form is lovely in the garden.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,872

If Outdoor girl is correct, then you're obviously growing it as the food plant of the Elephant Hawk Moth caterpillars, aren't you? image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

I am not sure it's fireweed ... Epilobium (Chamerion) angustifolium description from wikipedia:

"The reddish stems of this herbaceous perennial are usually simple, erect, smooth, 0.5–2.5 m (1½–8 feet) high with scattered alternate leaves. The leaves are entire, lanceolate, and pinnately veined."

BUt I might be wrong image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,093

No you're right. Katherine. image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,272

I'm pretty sure it's a weed that has masses of little white flowers that then turn into fluffy seeds like mini dandelions and get everywhere. But I just can't remember the name. They often grow on waste ground and are very common here.

Dordogne and Norfolk