Forum home Fruit & veg

Harvesting garlic

Hi. I planted a few varieties of garlic back in October half term, I've grown it before with much success but can't remember whether I should b harvesting about now as I was expecting something in the "what to do now" column in the magazine or even monty mentioning it in his program by now. Some of the plants have fallen flat but that happened after some strong winds. The varieties I'm growing are - marco and cristo, these have mostly collapsed and thermidrome, Germidour r lookin strong and proud. Ur opinions would be helpful cheers

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

As with mot of the alliums it's usual to start harvesting when the foliage starts to yellow and drops naturally, but you can have a poke about and see how big the bulbs are and if they look ok you can harvest or leave accordingly. There's never a set time to harvest anything, you just do it when it looks right.

• Cheers Dave that's great. I have lifted a plant that had fallen and it looks a little small but very weak at the bottom of the stem so I think I should just go for it on those varieties.
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Just pull up a plant when you need garlic for the kitchen. As the season progresses you will know when to pull them all up.
  • What a good idea. Thank you, although it may take me along time as I have around 70 garlic plants. Plenty to go around, I'll have a go at a few plaits. Cheers
  • FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 256

I pulled all mine yesterday, about 25 which turned into double that when they came up.  I'm altering the raised beds so want the space used differently.

• T CT C Posts: 30

Well all my leaves went yellow, wilted. And when pulled up I had the same clove I planted. No nice big ball of cloves, just one small ball.

• FruitcakeFruitcake Posts: 810

I'm very disappointed with my garlic this year, I think only one or two separated and they are all very small. If I bother planting them this year, they'll spend a week in the freezer beforehand. 

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Why will you freeze them? It is completely unnecessary and probably harmful to the garlic cloves.

What cloves were you planting? Were they from the garden centre/seed supplier or just any old cloves from the supermarket?
  • FruitcakeFruitcake Posts: 810

They were seed supplier. I've read somewhere about simulating below zero conditions. The winters here haven't been so cold for a few years 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

they grow garlic in places like Thailand where they get no frost. I can't see any need to freeze them.

Devon.