Fairy Moss

I have some of this in my pond and I have to say it does indeed have a magical ability to cover the pond's surface completely if you don't keep hauling it out. The non-native answer to duck weed me thinks.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,218

It looks very pretty.image One website says that koi "like to nibble on it". I don't know how many nibbling koi you would need to keep it under control.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,970

It does not thrive nor survive in central Scotland. Very susceptible to water temp.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,233

I didn't realise the impact of this species...sigh

http://www.nonnativespecies.org/factsheet/factsheet.cfm?speciesId=451

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,269

The water boatmen seem to be eating mine that fishy sent me. Maybe it takes a time to establish, it looks lovely at the moment. Just collected around the edges. Absolutely no slimey blanket weed at all.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,233

I regret sending you some Lyn image There 'is' apparently a species of North American weevil that feeds on fairy moss (Azolla). You can buy some from the company for just £120. A bargain image

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,970

When I lived in Hull I used to scoop fairy moss out of the pond by the handful. A couple of hundred miles north it just does not survive. Bonus!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller