Forum home Fruit & veg

Can I delay my pea pods by cutting the flowers?

I've staggered my pea planting to secure a great, rolling harvest throughout the summer and the first plants have just come into flower. But I am now going away for a fortnight and whilst I can have them picked in my absence to keep them keen, I wondered if there was a way of delaying the first round of pods by removing the flowers? Or will this just inhibit further growth?

Any ideas and thoughts gratefully received!

Fran

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,499

If you cut the flowers off you won't have any peas to worry about.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Fran, the flowers are the fruit. The flower comes is polinated then the fruit or seed which the fruit really is swells producing the pod and filling with seeds or in your case peas. Cut them off no seeds or peas. Strawberries, tomato's all start with the flower which developes into the fruit. Leave them alone and let nature take its course

Frank.

• Thanks guys, I understand that the flower leads to fruit but I don't want all the peas to be ready whilst i'm away. Is there any way to 'frustrate' the peas being ready? Will the plant be encouraged to have more flowers if ther are picked - as sweet peas do?
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,499

I don't think that your pea plants will wear themselves out in a fortnight. You might come back to find a few "bullets" but that's all.

Or you could offer your visitor the chance to pick them while you are away as a thank you treat.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • BoaterBoater Posts: 241

I'm not sure, if you pick the peas the plant will flower again and make more flowers and peas, and flower growers remove dead heads to encourage continued flowering through the season, I'm just not sure how the pea plants will react if you cut off good flowers ahead of their time. I would presume they will consider it stressful and flower again but I really am not sure about that. Seems to take mine about month for the second batch of peas to be ready after picking the first batch..... assuming they were sown early enough to get 2 batches and I manage to avoid powdery mildew as the plants get crowded later in the season.....

• Ha! Well I might experiment and see! Thanks All.