Forum home Fruit & veg

Growing Tomatoes Up String

Any special string that is more suitable for growing tomatoes up? I have bought string from H**e Bargains but thought it might be too rough in texture. First time growing tomatoes and want don't want to damage the plants..

• You can get rot proof twine which is really good, I think I got mine from Wilkos

• Will any twine do?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,773

The softer the better David.  I've used the course threaded stuff and find both that and artificial fibres can cut into the stem as the fruit gets heavier which produces damage that can lead to fungal infections.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • cathy43cathy43 Posts: 373

If you have any spare ball of wool, use that, soft and strong, (or know someone that knits). My mum used to knit so I've got loads, also quite colourfulimage

• Thanks for the reply. Been away so couldn't answer sooner. I decided to use the twine I had, I was happy it was soft enough.

Anyway I been pulling the suckers off my plants and noticed that what looks like a sucker is growing half way along a branch. Could this be a sucker and can it expected? Or am I mistaken?

I cannot take a pic yet until my better half comes back so I can borrow her mob camera.

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

How do you grow to tomatoes up the string please? Do you tie them into the string that is dangling down?

• You gentle wind the plant around the string as it grows, I do mine nearly every day.

• First the string has to be tied to something above and below the plant.

Here's a good video on it. Ignore the first part of the video.

• Sorry forgot to add the link

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,189

After attaching your twine to something above the plant you plant the tom on the bottom end of the twine.