Do squirrels eat conkers

looking out my window this morning, I was watching a grey squirrel in our garden collecting last years conkers from our conker tree that are on the grass and he was collecting them all up I couldn't see where he was putting them but it made me wonder would he eat them or are they posinous, I always thought conkers were does anyone know what he was doing with them ?  it was great to watch him being so busy image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,864
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Pink lilyPink lily Posts: 175

The squirrel that visits my garden tends to bury his stuff in my pots.  Makes a real mess, but I quite enjoy watching him going about his business image

• Nikki BNikki B Posts: 90

Their great to watch aren't they,I'm glad there not posinous for them my conker tree is massive so plenty of food for him in the autumn as long as the grandchildren leave enough image

• FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 254

Don't they just image our garden has too many small trees growing from forgotten stash image as said watching them is fun.

• daisymay3daisymay3 Posts: 8

We also have had the odd conker tree growing in our pots, my carefully planted hosta seeds dug over but the best was the half of coconut that we discovered when planting up our pots.  Do they also eat rosebuds?  Rose buds on the fence seem to have been biten off 

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

i found a slice of uncut stale bread buried in my strawberry bed the other day lol