Forum home Talkback

Bamboo

Can anyone help please?  We have planted pseudosasa japonica Bamboo to help seclude an area of the garden where we put an inflatable above ground pool in the summer.  We've not got it up yet as the bamboo shoots have spread so much they are coming up through the tarpaulin  which would be under the pool.  We originally (4 years ago) covered most of the area with concrete slabs and am wondering if we were to fill in the gaps with concrete would that solve our worry of the bamboo piercing the pool?   

Thanks for your help

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823

I think you will have to restrain the bamboo to stop it spreading as far as the pool. The RHS has some advice on how to control the plant and what sort of barrier to use to keep it under control.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=210

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Bamboo will lift concrete alison, the sensible option would be to dig a trench around the main clump and put in a bamboo control system, which stops the roots from running in all different directions. You'll have to dig out the underground roots as far as you can and use glyphosate on any new emerging shots you miss. there is no easy option to this problem.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,871

I've had Phyllostachys (or something like that spelling) aurea in the garden for years without a problem.  All it had controlling it was a 6" timber edging board for a path.  Then just 2 years ago we had the garden stripped of everything but a couple of bamboo and the eejits doing the work removed the timber edging.  I didn't notice at the time because grass normally covered it anyway.  Now I'm doing battle with runners.  They don't run very deep so I'm using an edging tool about 3 inches either side of the runner, lifting the section of turf and then pulling the runner out.  Time consuming but it seems to work.  I'll have to paint any remaining shoots with weedkiller to kill them off.

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 8,107

Verdun is correct (but I know he would never ever plant any bambooimage ).  You can make life a little easier by planting a bamboo which isn't so rampant.  All of them need a bit of a judicious eye but they can make a good plant...........just choose the correct one for your needs and put a barrier in if you are able to. You can also plant in a large container just proud of the surrounding ground.......that way you can control emerging runners but be aware that you will need to water and feed more, especially in dry weather.

• D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, FrancePosts: 2,158

I am with Verdun on this, we 'inherited' two lots (both different) of bamboo and it is an absolute pain, comes up everywhere. Am now on a mission to kill but seems to be a very slow and arduous process. Have been told to cut stems and apply Glyphosate within seconds to be effective as it needs to get into the sap. Also just keep hacking it back! image

Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors. – Mary Cantwell
  • Hello everyone. First post here.

We inherited some bamboo within a border, and it has been recently running into my lawn. I have two young children and am a little nervous about the cut stems then growing to a height which could cause injury if they fell into it. Probably being overly cautious but what can you do.

I decided to try and get rid of it all, and so following this (https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-get-rid-of-bamboo-naturally-2132939) decided that I will just keep cutting it back until all the energy stored in the plant is exhausted.  

Just finished cutting it all down, but being an idiot it only just occurred to me that as the bamboo appears to have come from my neighbours garden, under the fence, there is no way it will ever die out.....

I guess my only solution is to dig everything out and put some form of defence in place to stop it coming back? Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks