Forum home The potting shed

Verve Growbags

Hello,

Just thought I'd share my experience with you. I bought some 5 grow bags called Verve from B&Q for £8.

I generally find these bags are compacted due to the weight of other bags on top on the pallet they are on. So I got back to my greenhouse and started to loosen them up before splitting the bags open and putting the contents into a plant pot. During this process I again found I had to break down the contents to make it more manageable, what I wasn't prepared for was finding small pieces of glass in the bags. I have found 5 pieces in 4 bags. I filled up my containers as required but reading the bags description there was label stating it was using recyclable material although glass is not mentioned.

I went back to the store and explained what had happened and showed the pieces of glass to the stores personnel, she then put me onto a Supervisor who thought it was ok as glass is recyclable!! Anyway she went and discussed it with the Deputy Store manager who told the Supervisor to offer me a refund on 2 bags. I explained I had used the contents and was not interested in a refund more what they were going to do about the glass being in the bags in the first place and how would they stop people cutting their hands? Needles to say the answer was we will email head office and take it from there. I gave her my number and said let me know the outcome so I can see if it is an appropriate response. Still waiting 4 days after.

• shazza3shazza3 Posts: 106

that's totally unacceptable, they need to contact the company that provides the compost. I've found similar problem with other makes of compost (although thankfully no glass), think the problem lies with people taking their stuff to the recycle plant and just dumping everything into the skip which is for garden waste and when the attendants aren't around, they chuck everything in one place rather than walk around putting things in the correct skips. It's called laziness and unfortunately, there is no cure !!! the company that provides the compost should have screened the waste before turning it into compost.   

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

I got some glass in a miracle grow peat free this year and in a new horizons one a couple of years back. I've also had lots of plastic and piece of something that looked like bone (though thankfully it looked too thick to be human!) 

from experience any company you complain to will do nothing but send a formulated letter apologising.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,102

I tried Verve from B&Q a few years ago. Disgusting stuff. It smelt wrong and was obviously just recycled garden rubbish. Seeds did not germinate with much success.
    Seems that nowadays 'compost' mainly comprises anything but compost.
    The B&Q verve contained lots of bits of glass and bits of blue plastic.

I've used mainly Levingtons for over 40yrs but even that now boasts 'Enriched with Recycled Materials' - which translates to 'Bulked-up With Household Rubbish'  that costs them almost nothing and provides your plants with the same. I've found several bits of glass in Levingtons also this year.

I note that all composts bags now recommend that you wear gloves when handling - so if you cut yourself on some of the 'Enriched Recycled Materials' it's your fault for not following instructions.

Oh for the days of yore!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I've been using levingtons with John innes for about 3or4 years and its been fine
  • nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 406

Verve,worst compost I have ever bought.

• I am just doing some tests on Verve compost at the moment, i really wanted the cheapest and most basic available for some tests to prove the effectiveness of a bacterial probiotic for compost/growbags and i knew B&Q would not let me down !  image

I needed something with the least amount of natural goodness to really see what difference the natural bacterial and fungal strains would make in terms of both conditioning the compost and providing the essential foundation for the plants to flourish (or not) and what the differences were/are between untreated and treated compost in relation to plant growth and strength.

In reality you get what you pay for but the low advertised costs attract people but the risks with plants dying or not flourishing aren't realised till it's too late.

Then you could be 3-4 weeks behind or even worse the plant lives but grows poorly and never really yields and a whole season is wasted

• WonkyWombleWonkyWomble SuffolkPosts: 4,098

Being new to gardening, not driving and the shop being 150 yards away, I use lidl compost at £1.89 a bag, a few sticks in it but none of the above! Everything is growing well and I've the best lubin, hollyhock and zinnia seedlings I've seen! Admittedly I've not seen many. But having gone round garden centres and seen the varying cost of compost, I think I will stick with what I'm in following these comments! Good to know though, always thought I was ill-treating my plants! image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,567

Wonky - I can vouch for your seedlings looking very healthy indeed - I'm impressed image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I think a lot of glass is getting in via the green bin schemes where anyone walking along the road when the bins are out for collection can put what they want in, or just simple confusion as we have 4 bins and sometimes i have to stop and think what goes in which!

they say collectors supposed to look inside before they put into the lorry, but i cant believe this happens 100%

I suppose they can screen for metal using a magnet but glass is more difficult

• teamleaderteamleader Posts: 17

Always learning, can I ask if you have found any glass in your testing or have you not tried many bags? I've still not heard anything back from B&Q, should I be surprised?