Forum home Plants

Verbena

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,215

Its a lot warmer down there, verdun. Last years plants are behind the cuttings.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • David AmosDavid Amos Posts: 27

I planted some several years ago. I just leave them alone. I cut off the dead stalks in a spring tidy up. They come back year after year stronger than ever and clumps need splitting up.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,719

I planted 200 around the garden last year, more this year, some died, most survived, but noticed only just now they did self seed, huge groups of seedlings, everywhere, heading for the compost bin.

So if you are in a colder area, have a closer look, as I said, the seedlings are only about 2"tall! 

My daughters, in Cornwall are now fully grown about7ft and in full flower, but she is in a very warm shady spot.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• cathy43cathy43 Posts: 373

Hi Lyn, I'm further north! Could you describe what the seedlings look like? I might have pulled them out thinking weedsimage

• GreencabGreencab Posts: 18

Pruned mine in the spring and they are now coming up strong and have buds on them.

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,824

Mine must have self seeded too last year - quite pleased as normally the hen gets rid of any wanted seedlings by scratching about.

I use rooty chunks out of the containers when they go over to mulch around the base of the plant - I don't think I've lost any VB but that's not to say what I'm doing worksimage

• Flora rosaFlora rosa Posts: 258

Lyn's correct, they are growing !  Had a scoot round yesterday after returning from hols and I have a couple about 3" high ...... Goodo. thanks