Forum home Plants

Verbena

Hi guys,

Just wondering if may of you cover or protect your Verbena bonariensis in winter and if so, how?

Thanks,

Justin

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 2,008
    Nope. I think winter wet is more likely to affect it than cold.
  • FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 254

I think you are supposed to mulch in winter, that's what I do. Mine are only just showing growth image

• Thanks!

What type of mulch is best for perennial beds?

Thanks,

Justin

• I think cut them down after end of flowering is the main thing...I forgot to until early spring this year, so the new growth has started off from slightly straggly last year's remnants in some places, and the result if I've got slightly leggier plants with smaller plants, than if I'd cut back.  Mulch sounds like a good idea too.  Having said all that, they still make a lovely back of border display with their bouncing/dipping flower stems, and the hover flies love them!

• Flora rosaFlora rosa Posts: 258

I planted verbena last year and after reading on here, was expecting them to come back profusely but all of them seem to have perished! Does anyone know what I did wrong ? 

• cathy43cathy43 Posts: 373

My verbena have never come backimage I have tried cutting them down and not cutting them down, neither seems to work.  I like them but they don't seem to like me! Maybe try mulching a bit more this year?

• Bizzybee63Bizzybee63 Posts: 73

Hi Justin, I'm new to gardening and pleased to say that my bargain verbena from Morrison's last year came back ! I didn't do anything special ,just cut it down in the winter and put a bit of my not very well rotted compost and it's come up big and strong.I've bought another one and this time I split it into two plants (Alan Titchmarsh suggestion) and they are both doing well.

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 2,008

They thrive best on rather well drained or even stony soil (more chance of overwintering at least).

A couple of concrete rings outside the local Esso garage have huge clumps of Verbena in them, look like they've been there for years in really dry soil with no care whatsoever. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,952

Last autumn I took a dozen side shoots as cuttings. I potted them on after rooting, 3 to a six inch pot,  and planted them out in early May. They are just coming in to flower. This years seedlings will probably not flower until August.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3