Forum home Tools and techniques

Grass and slabs...

2»

• Pink lilyPink lily Posts: 175

a strimmer works well.  Used that to sort out the earth and grass that had crept over the edging bricks.  Just make sure you have plenty of spare strimmer cord as it will use it up a lot faster than when you just strim grass image 

• I have an old strimmer kicking around that I don't use. I'm worried it's all in the wrist...
  • LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

I don't understand the question. You have slabs sunk into the lawn. So you mow over them. What is the problem? 

I hate edging lawns, I use overgrown scissors, hate it. 

• The question is, when the grass sneaks over the damned slabs, how do I chase it back where it belongs without the accursed big scissors..?

I think I might need to lift the slabs and add some more builders sand beneath as I suspect they have slowly sunk a bit hence the encroachment!

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Steve, edging is loathsome but there's no easy fix or machine that makes it easier trust me. I'm currently edging 80m of lawn in a clients garden, which has been neglected and although some bits can be strimmed, most has to be done by hand. It's just one of those tiresome tasks we have to do. If anyone invents a machine to do the edging, they'd make millions and I'd buy one. Raising the slabs will make a difference, but you'll risk your mower blade if you run over it. 

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 2,340

Can't think of any electrical gizmos, but a half moon edger would save you from getting housemaid's knee....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,574

Steve, get a goat by all means - get a Golden Guernsey (I used to breed them image) but they won't eat the grass while there are roses in your garden image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,007

Take up the slabs, fill holes with soil or compost.  Sow grass seed.

Voila!  No more edging.  Unless of course you still need to be able to walk across the lawn when it's frozen in winter.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw