Forum home Tools and techniques

Grass and slabs...

After a long day, I have just slogged my way through one of my most hated tasks (and I haven't finished yet...) - I've been clearing the overgrowing grass that is determined to sneak over and swallow up the path of slabs that I sank into the lawn a couple of years ago.

Is there a less back breaking solution than using either a hand knife or a curved lawn edging thingy? Something electrical please!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

A strimmer might do it, 

• I'd thought of that but I was worried that there might be a degree of ripping the whole thing to bits while trying!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

That's possible, might not be the tidiest finishimage

• I was hoping for some clever device that would give me a sensible edge! image

• Slight overgrowing I can live with, this is like PacMan!

• Bee-gailBee-gail Posts: 3
    Can you not run the mower over the top?

Ours are nicely sunken, more 'rustic' (think messy and uneven) and I can run our Mower over the top..
  • I do run the mower over the top, I need the path to skip down to get to the nether parts of the garden. It is also a nice double curve as it adds a bit of a feature!

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,990

I use the strimmer - it gives a neat edge to the paving if you don't go daft with it. Either that or a lawn edging half moon tool.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • I'm trying to avoid the manual labour part, come on people, I am relying on you! image

• If I had space, I'd have goats definitely. I always found them very endearing during my work with them. These days it is puppies and kittens only and they are no help with the grass!