Forum home Wildlife gardening

Jumbo pea nuts

FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 256

Im having trouble finding jumbo peanuts for my feeder, it's an American squirrel proof type,the only peanuts I can buy round here are so small when birds such as woodpeckers are on it the nuts just flow out. Plus I don't want the baby birds to get choked.Any ideas where I can get Large ones from?In winter I got a few bags but not enough to last.   Thanks in anticipationimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,220

Try the RSPB site - if they don't have what you want you could try contacting them for advice - if they don't know I can't imagine that anyone else will

http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/bird-food.html

Good luck image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 256

Thanks Dove, i have put an old finer mesh feeder up with a bowl thing over to stop squirrels. But having bought this fancy one image I'd like to use it.image

Did you buy it in the UK?  If so I'd have thought the seller should have some idea where you can get suitable nuts image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 256

I did, I bought a large and a small feeder,and the nut feeder at the same time, I'll  find the bill. They have worked a treat not one nastypant squirrel on any of them.image

Good luck - let us know how you get on - squirrel proof feeders that work are a good find, so where to get the peanuts will be helpful to others too image