Path ideas

Hi there,

this is my first post here.

I'd like to pick your brains... I'm living in a rented cottage with a small back garden, which has a patio area outside the back door, then some lawn, then a seating area with nice sofas and a little veg patch. But what's bugging me for a long time and really makes me feel "unsettled" is, that there is no pathway leading from the patio at the house over the lawn to the seating area. It feels so unnatural not to have a path and in summer the lawn suffers a lot from walking over it.

As I am living in a rented house, I don't want to put too much money into this. So I was thinking about a gravel path, it's relatively cheap and easy to do myself, and I could pick a nice gravel to give it the coastal feel I am after. However, a gravel path would need some kind of edging to keep the gravel in place and this is what bugs me. We only have a small lawn area (about 4 x 5 metres) and I do like to play on it with my dog etc. I wouldn't want edging to get in the way of play and cause injuries etc.

So.... I don't know what to do or what I can do, as I am after a coastal look (so edging the path with brick wouldn't work)...

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823

Any edging would need to be proud enough or wide enough to keep the gravel from spilling onto the lawn. You could use sleepers.......there is plenty of wood found at the beach so sleepers would not be out of place.

• SuperheroSuperhero Posts: 53

I like the idea of sleepers, but they are rigid in design, I was thinking about making a curved or weaving path for the eyes to follow.

• cathy43cathy43 Posts: 373

there are square grids about an inch depth with cells, they click together and can be cut to create a curve.  I have used them sunk in flush with the grass, in some Ihave filled with gravel and others filed with soil and seeded with grass, very easy to do and can create a stable path hat is flush with  the grass or flowerbeds. hope this helpsimage

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,949

Wooden edging would not cause injuries but playing with your dog on the lawn would probably result in the gravel flying out of the enclosed space. What about just sinking some paving slabs into the lawn at regular intervals. About a strides length apart would do and you could curve them. Would be cheaper than gravel and edging.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller

I think I know what you mean, is it those you usually use for driveways?

hogweed, I was thinking about that myself... just not sure I like the square stepping stone idea.

• How about some pretty stepping stones to make a pathway?  It saves having to dig out for edging and also keeps a nice coastal look whilst still keeping the majority of the lawn on show.  You don't have to pay a lot for them and if you wanted, you could even take them with you when you move.  image

Been thinking about those, too, but haven't found nice ones yet. I was even thinking about getting some slabs to make kind of a mediterranian path with irregularly shaped slabs, but I'm not sure I can find any here!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,205

Try freecycle too.   Stepping stones are going to be the easiest and cheapest option.  Playing with your dog will scatter gravel all over anyway and then it'll get in the blades of your lawn mower.

My local GC has irregular shaped Japanese stones in grey or brown for about £10 each.  Make sure they are sunk just below grass level so you can go straight over them with the lawnmower.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw