Flowers in small pots!

My daughter has asked me to provide some bright flowers in 3 inch pots for her wedding. 

It's at the end of June, so June/July flowering.

She wants 150 or so (doesn't ask much does she?) so I know I'll have to plant/sow about 400 pots to get 150 that look OK. I guess it's anything that will flower in such a small pot?

Oh yes, and we have to take them about 250 miles ...

Any help please?

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

You are going to need compact summer bedding--one idea impatiensimage

• Thanks, I hadn't got that on my list!

• SFordSFord Posts: 224

Dont know what your daughter's colour scheme is but how about lobelia in shades of pinks, purples and whites?  They would bulk up quite quickly but would need some careful watering if in such small pots

• LouisLouis Posts: 3

Wouldn't let me post, hope it isn't twice.  I did grow Lobelias for our daughter's wedding. We had to transport them a similar distance. We had pots of two different shades of deep blue with white centres. I used trailing and non trailing. We transported them squished into cardboard boxes, carefully lifting the trailing parts as we packed. I lucked into some cheap white pots with internal saucers that were great but my original intention was to use regular pots covered with coloured foil. They looked very pretty. I got the idea after seeing leftover lobelia potted into larger pots at the garden centre the previous summer. My daughter wanted blues but the mixed colour pots were gorgeous. I did notice that the pots with plants all from a multi-coloured seed mix did not look as bright as the pots where small clumps of colour were mixed together. The tiny concentrated clumps of white or light blue really set off the other colours and made the whole pot brighter. My favourite was a pot of deep rose pink mixed with a very dark blue.  Good Luck.

PS I did consider the small gerberas but it was easier to be sure the lobelia would be blooming.

• Great! thanks, i really like the lobelia idea. She wants a mixtureof bright colours, but lobelia are definately on my list now.

Lottie

• I think geums would be a little large for the pots?

• be careful with bussie lizzie as they have been a bit of a disaster the last two years due to a nasty fungus.

• How exciting! You dont mention a particular colour scheme or if the plants are to be grouped or spread around. Also, are you growing them outdoors or in a greenhouse? Depending on where you can grow them I would consider marigolds, gerberas, dahlias, calendula, pansies, violas, geraniums, fuchsias, and for a bit of greenery here and there, hostas. I would also look at some wedding sites for ideas of what the professionals are doing to borrow a few ideas too