Forum home The potting shed

Sweet peas

I sowed some seeds about three weeks ago in a trough, but nothing has come up yet. I sowed themn about a inch deep in a good generqal purpose compost. Do you think they will come top anything?image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,225

Have a poke around.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,265

They can be slow to germinate, old seeds are unreliable. But that is rather late to sow. I sow mine in the autumn and again in early spring. Also I sow mine 1cm deep.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • LandlubberLandlubber Posts: 396

I'm a wee bit frightened that if I poke around I might undermind them Pansy. Well, they either come up or they don't as I have also planted Nasturiuns in the same trough too which are going mad and growing lovelyimage

• LandlubberLandlubber Posts: 396

I'm a wee bit frightened that if I poke around I might undermind them Pansy. Well, they either come up or they don't as I have also planted Nasturiuns in the same trough too which are going mad and growing lovelyimage. But the sweet peas werev new seeds

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,054

Shouldn't sweet peas be sown either in the autumn or spring as they should be flowering soon. Mine were sown in February after first soaking the seed in hot water and nicking the seed shell with a knife as they are hard and can prevent germination. Anyhow they are growing well in pots and have flower buds on now.