Not blanketweed, but what?

We have some blanket weed but I know from trying to clear it out before that it's full of little critters that have no chance of crawling back to the water. So I tend to leave it ad push it to the shadiest spots. I thought we had a new type of algae which looks a pale muddy colour and consists of hundreds of near spherical/oval blobs about 1cm at longest point. I took some out and had a closer look yesterday and they are very similar to the jelly blobs of snail eggs I've found on plants before. They feel like it too. Surely I can't have a pond full of potential snail babies??!!! Or is there a type of algae that looks like this? Thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,674

Water snail eggs?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Gillian53Gillian53 Posts: 112

Those gelatinous lumps that are attached to the underside of leaves  are the little packages of eggs laid by the snails aren't they? When on the leaves though they are virtually transparent. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,674

Gillian - can you post a pic or two?  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Having a bit of trouble posting the pics. The first one is one of the jellylike lumps on the dog's tablet lid and the second is a few of the blobs in a mug.

Very interesting. Thankyou. At least I'm not going to be overrun with snails. I  quite like the blobs now image.