Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bees

We have a small nesting box (about 5 inches cubed) that has been colonized by bees. They are not a problem at the moment, although we have to walk in a large circle round them. It seems too small a container to hold all the bees that seem to be flying in there - will they go by themselves and if so, when? I am becoming increasingly wary of them as they sometimes seem bothered by anyone who passes within a 3 metre radius.

• LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 1,248

I understand your predicement but it would be a shame to destroy their nest. They will leave at some point but I can't say when. Maybe when they have left you can relocate the box elsewhere so if they return to it they won't be bothering you?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,848

Have you got somewhere else you could put them. If you wait till they've all gone to bed in the evening you can put a piece of tape over the hole and relocate them. I have 2 nest boxes full that were relocated to my garden from somewhere else. Good pest control companies will do this for you if you don't like the idea of doing it yourself.

I expect they're tree bumble bees but if they're honeybees a beekeeper will do it

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,129

They'll be Tree Bees - they're not aggressive but they always have a few 'sentries' dancing outside the entrance - but if you ignore them they'll ignore you. Our neighbours have had several nests on their property and they've caused no  trouble.  They're gardeners' friends because they're wonderful pollinators and especially like daisy-like flowers. 

In the autumn the workers and the drones will die and the queens will fly off and hibernate until next spring, so your nest box will be empty by the winter.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,848

Those sentries are the young men waiting for the girls to come out. We won't go into what happens when they do.image

• Gillian53Gillian53 Posts: 112

I've read that the ones hovering around outside don't have a sting. I don't think that should make a difference anyway because of all the four bumble nests we have had over the last few years, we have never been stung. The bees just sound aggressive to some folk but are just concentrating on their short life cycle. I don't think they will reuse the nest again either. We have some in our blue tit box this year. Bumble Bee Conservation have a lot of advice.

• We have exactly the same, they ignore us and I'm fascinated watching them buzz in and out.