Forum home Talkback

Garlic and what to do next....

Hi everyoneimage I've started growing my garlic in pots indoors and they're about 6 inches tall and the roots are through the bottom of the pots so time to move them on me thinks...is it okay to plant outside and leave unprotected or should I cover with gardeners fleece? Also should I plant in a large pot or the veg plot? (First time I've grown garlicimage) I'm digging over the veg plot each week at the moment and adding all the usual to break up the soil as its clay and chalk where I live (nestled in the South Downs) and its sooooo wet:/ done it for the last couple of years but every winter it seems to revert to the same cloggy plot..any suggestions folks gratefully receivedimage 

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Firstly these are completely hardy and should have been outside weeks ago-in fact they need a spell of cold to grow properlyimage

They have now got soft growth that will suffer if they go straight in the bed-get them in a cold frame as a half way house to harden off for a few weeks then plant them out but with no protectionimage

You may not get as good a result if they had been planted outside as is the usual practise in November-so perhaps next year?? image

As regards the plot-why are you digging it over each week-that must mean you are standing on the soil??image

• Ah okay:/ next year I'll do them properlyimage so if I put them in the unheated greenhouse they may toughen up a bit before going into the veg bed? We're due some harsh frosts according to the forecast:/ my veg plot has paths between the soil areas; hubby has made it as easy as possible for me so I don't tread on the soil I've dug over, I thought you had to keep turning the soil over during the Winter (still trying to kill off the slugsimage)   its just so heavy:/ I've dug leaf compost and some sand into the beds ( or rather hubby has dug it into the soil lol) to try and break up the clay etc., Thanks for your adviceimage

Yes in the greenhouse if you haven't got a cold frame -next best thing-but not for too long say about 10 days

You dont have to keep digging-add some more bulky organic matter like manure early in the winter leave it exposed for the frosts,weather and the worms do the hard work

The slugs are asleep at the momentimage

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I have heavy soil. I try to stand on it as little as possible, it is a work in progress. I put down compost anything really but don't dig it in - worms seem to be doing a fne job

Garlic needs to be frosted so should have been put in garden, as Geoff says you will have to introduce it to the cooller temps slowly. I think the bulbs need the frost to make them split into cloves. read it somehwere.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I also have heard that they need a frost to split into cloves, but like everything else about gardening, that does not always work. If any one knows what makes a garlic bulb split into cloves, I would love to know. I planted new garlic from a seed company in October; that is now 5" high and my own stock of garlic (including elephant) in October; that is just coming through. I love to pickle it in white balsamic vinegar for myself and friends.

• I re-read the packaging from the garlic and yep Geoff I got it totally wrong:/ I still have a bulb left to plant...shall I bother sticking it straight into the veg bed? Will it just take a bit longer for harvesting? or should I save it for Spring planting? I got it for two reasons, we eat lots of garlic and also it said it's a great pest deterrentimageimage When I've dug the veg beds there are plenty of worms so I'm assuming this is a really good thingimage and will stop the digging, really pleased about that, thanks for letting me know  ....as for those slugs.....grrrr! I found several asleep....not for long; they're in green heavenimage Where hubby just laid slabs round the veg beds we unknowingly gave them a lovely hiding place, just lying there...waiting for a big feast on my cropsimage  now that I've found it...................

I would plant it now-your soil sounds very fertileimage

Keep us updated on slug warsimage

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n627/thedogcody/Slug-Wars-logo_zpsa5c3c5f4.jpg

• Love it lol...very goodimage

• GirasoleGirasole Posts: 193

Geoff, is this the right thread for a garlic topic? He'll know what I am talking aboutimage.

Like you, Manic,mine went into pots in my freezingly cold kitchen (as I missed the boat in the autumn) and are now a good 5" tall but I have also read not to put them out yet but keep them in a darkish spot still in freezing kitchen!

S.

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

You can put the bulbs in frige for a couple of weeks then plant straight from the chill. Don't leave it too late otherwise you won't get garlic, just leaves - voice of xperienceimage