Scent in summer

VerdunVerdun Posts: 23,348
I grow as many plants as possible for scent in summer......perennial heliotropes by the front door, for example, are there every year. What do you grow for summer scent?

• Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,455
    Sweet peas image
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,234

Nicotiana affinis for the evenings

• a example would be nice love looking at pictures me.i mean can you show us what they look like by your door

the smell i like by my door is the sweet smell of lavender

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,094

Starting with spring, wallflowers, hyacinths, narcissus, bluebells (English ones do grow in France), rosemary, Lilac, lily of the valley.

Summer, roses (lots), honeysuckle, a double petunia called Pirouette, lavender, star jasmin. Wish I could grow sweet peas. As soon as the weather get hot they wilt. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,234

Sorry marty, these don't flower til it's too dark for my photo skills.

But I did just post a couiple of butterflies on the buddleia thread. 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,475

I love powerful evening fragrances, so staples are Matthiola bicornis, Nicotiana sylvestris, Zaluzianskya (my favourite.)  None of them are 'lookers' so they are randomly placed between plants more pleasing to the eye.  I'm also a sucker for all types of Dianthus, even though they don't last long in my clay.  The Nicotiana sometimes surprise me and come up again the next year though.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,455
    Bob I struggle with dianthus too, im wondering about a large pot of them instead ?
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,475

Hi Bunnys, Yes, that works - I have some Dianthus superbus planted in a mix of compost and sharp sand (in a large clay bowl) that have been going for at least 6 or 7 years.  I think they really benefit from good drainage.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,641

Sweet rocket http://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/hesperis-matronalis/3418.html for wonderful evening scent.  Also honeysuckles and roses (I don't see the point of roses that don't have good scent ).

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !