Forum home Talkback

Small fast flying bird

JAYJARDINJAYJARDIN Posts: 109
This is really not a gardening question at all but I wonder if anyone else has seen this fantastically fast small bird in their gardens. This little bird appears every single year in May at dusk every single night. It never lands but flys acrobatically up and down the garden with such speed we almost can't see it. It dips and dives and changes direction from south to east so very quickly. It stays about 15 minutes and then dissapears. It is so fast we cannot see it to identify what it is. I wonder if anyone knows what it is! It comes every night until mid September and then it must migrate to somewhere warmer.

• JAYJARDINJAYJARDIN Posts: 109
    Defininately not a bat. It flys down close to the house and i can see its a bird for sure by its wing shape. It is so acrobatic it is mesmerising to watch!
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,091

Sound like a bat to meimage

It moves like one Nutcutlet but it is definately a bird. Any ideas?
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,233

That does sound like typical bat behaviour to me Jay. Can you see colours or is it always in silhouette? 

• yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 732

Does it do it silently or does it make a lot of noise as well?  Can you hear it before you see it?

It is completely silent. It moves so fast it was only by luck I noticed it about 6 years ago. Occasionally it brings a friend along and there are two of them doing acrobatics !
    Fishy 65 I can see the silhouette and it looks light coloured underneath. I never get to see the topside of it.
  • yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 732

Not swallows or swifts?  You would know by the wing shape.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,091

Why are you so sure it's not a bat?

Your description is exactly what I see every night at the same time during the same months. 

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,233

The flight pattern you describe Jay doesn't fit any bird that I know. The sudden mid-air changes of direction all say 'bat', as does the not landing. Upper canopy warblers such as willow warbler and chiffchaff certainly fly from tree top to tree top, but at all times of day and probably less so at dusk.