Forum home Wildlife gardening

save a bee with some sugar water

some of you may know this so this is for the unaware image

if you find a bee that looks like it is dying or flailing on it's back or just looking like it's on it's last legs, you can revive it with a little water and sugar, if you soak part of a tissue in it and put it near the bee it will revive itself by drinking it, alternately as my son did as he was at work just put it on a teaspoon or just a puddle on the floor if you have nothing to hand.

sometimes they just get exhausted from all the pollen collecting and can easily die from exhaustion. we have done this half a dozen times already and after their drink are able to fly off image

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Yes - I have been doing this for years and it really does work and quickly too.image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,944

I've done this too. Lovely to feel you can help one of our loveliest creatures image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 806

I've done this a couple of times with bees that I have found swimming - or drowning-  in a watering can or bucket. In the big picture, one bee is not significant, but I'm sure it is appreciated by that bee.

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

it's very rewarding when you see them fly off rejuvenated image tetley don't get your salt/sugar waters mixed up image

• I have some squirty honey in our food cupboard which I use exclusively for just this purpose! It has worked on numerous occasions and is very rewarding.

• staffsmagsstaffsmags Posts: 230

ERM......... How much sugar to water, Please?   And (Lancashire Lass ) do you dilute the honey?  Mags

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

well just a little of each, i don't measure it, just say..add 1/4 tsp to a 2x tsps of water something like that image

• iceice Posts: 332
    Lancashire lass I read somewhere sugared water was better than honey as they homey may have diseases for bees in it or be the wrong type...
  • I'll perhaps have to start putting it on my toast instead then, thanks for that information Ice.