Forum home The potting shed

weather warning

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,520

Got very excited about the idea of some rain for my parched garden but at about 5pm last night I rechecked the met office forecast which said there was a less than 5% chance of us getting any rain for the foreseeable future - despite being in the centre of the yellow severe weather warning area for Friday & Saturday.

Ho hum - perils of living in the driest part of the country I thought & watered some new plantings.

At about 8.30pm the heavens literally opened - driveway was like a river - all drains overflowing - gutters overflowing - newly washed windows spattered with roof moss - grass getting greener by the second - shrub roses in full flower looking sadder and limper by the second.

Woke up this morning - it had clearly rained some more & then it started raining heavily again. Dashed out in a quiet spell about 11am to do some emergency staking and it has been quietly raining all day since then. 

Most of it has been good rain - straight down soft stuff and the garden has had a really good, much needed drink. Some of it was heavy and damaging though and I suspect there will be some damage to put right tomorrow.

As ever in gardening - swings and roundabouts image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,189

Didn't appear to have rained here last night and although cloudy it's been lovely and warm all day.

• If you have had enough topbird puff it this way. Promised overnight downpours never came to anything hereimage the garden is parched and the red ants are in their elementimage if nothing happens tonight will have to give selected plants and plantlets a drink in the morning though cos I live in hopeimage 

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

Not a drop or any fireworks and none promised for all next week.  The dog is happy but I'm not.  I've just been out and watered the essential bits

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

The weather forecasts do seem to be a lot more accurate now than several years ago, but they do go a bit over the top with their 'wild' weather warnings now after the Michael Fish episode.

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,282

Rained here for about 18 hours solid.  Water butt full and the garden well watered.  It still looks like we will get more very grey and humid at the moment.  Everything is just shooting up.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Ugh!!!Yvie image everything's drying up hereimage it's getting windy so perhaps a few kind gardeners are blowing some real weather this way image

• iceice Posts: 327
    It's been raining pretty much solidly since 5pm last night. No watering today!
  • richhondacrichhondac Posts: 215
    It's not stopped since 5 yesterday my new lawns loving it
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,829

Is it raining in Yorkshire? Travelling down tomoz, might take some buckets with me.

Half a drizzle happening here, but only enough to waken the slugs and give everything mildewimage