Forum home Tools and techniques

Mulching in summer

I'm new to gardening. I'm having trouble with weeds so far this summer, which I have been treating and pulling up. I read that mulching can help to suppress weeds as well as benefiting the plants. It is now mid June and I have not mulched my flowerbeds at all this year - is it too late to do so now?

• MrMustardMrMustard Posts: 25
    Great thanks!

Elsewhere online it says mulch in late spring and to avoid mulching in hotter months. So I though I was too late. But as you suggest watering before mulching then that should protect from over drying.
  • If it says avoid mulching in Hotter months I don't think you'll have a problemimage

• Andrew 71Andrew 71 Posts: 7

Ideally you should still avoid mulching during hotter months...

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I think it's more about dry than hot isn't it? Mulch needs to go on moist soil or it keeps soil dry rather than moist

• MrMustardMrMustard Posts: 25
    I see. So after I've completed weeding this evening, I should give the whole bed a very good watering and only then mulch afterwards.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Sounds good to meimage

see what the proper gardeners thinkimage

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,428

What are you mulching with?  Bark?  What sort of weeds are you dealing with?  

Better mulching later than not at all, in my opinion.  As others have said, give it a good soak prior to applying the mulch.  If you're dealing with small little 'easy' weeds, putting down six or so layers of wet newspaper before applying the mulch will really cut back on the weeding.  If you've got bind weed, couch grass, mares tail, etc.. the newspaper (or mulch) won't do much good beyond making them a bit easier to pull out from the loose top layer.  

Utah, USA.