potash?

Morning guysimage  lovely morning again aren't we lucky here (hope its the same all round) 

We have sorted out our burning area and have barrow s of silky fine soil or is it potash? We burn all the stuff I don't want to compost horrible weeds too many grass cuttings roots tree branches even the odd weedy mossy turf and a bit of cardboard etc  image can I add this to any bed flower or veg or should I avoid certain things. 

I've got another heap already waiting for the wind to be blowing the right way.

• Think I would just add it to the compost heap, primrose.

• yeh  could do that but it is so fine and resembles soil dust or fbb and not a sign of ash cos I sifted all the bits out

• FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 254

I put all my wood ash from my man cave wood stove,around the garden on any plants I feel would benefit. I do only burn wood. Can't have ground fire round this area (too many complaints) so compost or brown bin for the rest.image

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Compost heap or round fruit trees and bushes for preference.
  • Thanks guys imagewill share it out between all your suggestions I've got enoughimage and they chairman is watching the weather to set off another fire I think he suffers  from Pyromania image

• Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

I would put it around veg plants... too much concentrated ashes in the compost heap can hinder the bacteria as they do their job, but a sprinkle of ashes around veg and frui is very good indeed.

• Not sure if it's always understood that wood-ash contains very little potash and for it to have any significant effect, it would need to be added in quite large amounts to make any difference.....sulphate of potash is far more useful.

• It looks more likesoil than grey ash David so perhaps just use it as bulk than expect it to do too much else thanks for your tips anyway image I haven't struck gold after allimage

• Awwww.....sorry, primrose, I have to tell it how it is.  image

• Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

I am not sure it does nothing, David... I only use wood ashes to fertilize toms and Lemon trees in summer and they practically flop under the weight of the fruit. Sure it's not a teaspoon that does it, but you don't need massive amounts either.