Forum home Wildlife gardening

Grass Edging on a Pond

Good Evening All..

I'm just finishing off my wildlife pond and would like to edge it with grass turf. I don't want to get too much soil into the water, but, bingo! i've just read that rockwool can be used as a growing medium instead of soil. Does anybody have experience with this?

The point is, I would like to have the eventual grass actually touching the pond water surface, but I've made a bit of a mess with the pond liner so don't feel soil will sit too securely on top of it.

Any advice or experiences would be most welcome image

• LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 1,256

I have no knowledge of rockwool. Alan Titchmarsh did once laygrass turf so that it overlapped the edge of the pond and went a couple of inches into the water.

• michael 58michael 58 Posts: 45

Wow thanks for the Alan Titchmarsh tip image I've just seen his pond making video.

The video proved that grass turf dosnt need vast amounts of soil under it. Indeed, he simply laid it on top of his bare pond liner, making sure that the turf was dipped into the pond water at one end for it to survive. I was always under the impression that at least 3 or so cm of topsoil was needed for it to take. Lesson learned.

Rockwool is and was always going to be a very last resort. Apparently it does work........

• michael 58michael 58 Posts: 45

• LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 1,256

I think Monty might have used rockwool when they rebuilt the pond (lake) at Berryfields a few years ago. I recall they had professionals in to make a clay liner?