Lonicera Nitida

Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,820

Has anyone any experience of making these as a globe like box?

I can obtain some at a very low price and as I like the leaves etc was wondering if they clip and can be kept in check, I have read they are very vigorous  They will be in pots

Bjay

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,255

They are very vigorous but a pot would hold them back. Probably need trimming more often than box. Box naturally makes quite a neat bush, the lonicera sprawls.

• Not quite answering your question, but I know of a large garden open to the public which had a number of low box hedges around beds.  The box succumbed to box blight and the hedges were replaced with Lonicera nitida.  They were happily trimmed with both electric and hand clippers, although into straight edges, so don't see why they can't be made into ball shapes although they seemed to be more "open" than box.

• A "comical" shape or "conical" shape?image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,255

Comical please, I like a bit of humour in the garden

• Sounds great fun!

• Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,455
    Sounds great fun, any pics verdun?image
  • Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,455
    Rosa had to google as hadn't seen this plant before. If you google images it , there are some topiary style images, even a sheep or two. Looks good.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,113

I know someone who has a lonicera hedge that he keeps regularly trimmed and it is neat and tight and very like box but the leaves are smaller.